In brief about Manufacturing in Västerbotten
- The manufacturing industry in Västerbotten stems from the base industries of forestry and mining and has consequently developed and grown to become a well established industry in the region.
- Local companies have not rarely become international players, for example Trelleborg Seales and Alimak Hek.
- The manufacturing industry is an essential part of the world- leading forest technology cluster in the region.
- The world’s second largest manufacturer of forest machines, Komatsu Forest is located in the area.
- Volvo Trucks with it’s production in Umeå has brought well known international businesses to the region, for example Isringhausen.
- The industry employs 10. 800 people in the region, that is approximately 9,2 % of the total amount of people employed.
- Areas where the industry is particularly dominant is in Vindeln and the city of Skellefteå.